Would you like to become a member of the Sayreville Police Auxiliary? Many people join so they can get a feel for police work
and to see if it is something they want to pursue as a full time career (we've had many who have gone on to become full-time police officers).
Others join just to be able to help out the community.
Applications are currently being accepted for the position of Auxiliary Police Officer with the Sayreville Police Department.
Applications may be downloaded from this website using the link below and returned by mail or in person to police headquarters.
The closing date for applications will be Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM.
Please read the qualifications before applying. Interviews will be held between September through January, 2014.
The 2015 police academy is scheduled to begin in March, 2015.
You may download an application here CLICK HERE
Note: If you are unable to download this application, we can provide one for you. Please send a letter of interest, along with your current resume to:
Sayreville Police Department
Attn: Auxiliary Police
1000 Main St.
Sayreville, NJ 08872
Or use our Contact form to request an application.
Note: Applications are NOT available at headquarters unless prior arrangements have been made for pickup. No phone calls please. If you have a question, please use our contact us page.
Know someone who may be interested??? Download our recruitment brochure CLICK HERE
QUALIFICATIONS for Auxiliary Police Officer Applicants
All requirements must be met before graduation. Applicants must:
- Be citizen of the United States
- Be over 18 years of age
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently
- Possess a clean and valid New Jersey driver's license
- Be of good moral character and has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude.
- Be a resident of Sayreville or live within 5 miles of the Sayreville border(* More information).
- Ability to pass a medical examination for physical fitness.
- Submit your application
- Written exam
- Medical exam
- Background investigation
- You will then be sent to the Middlesex County Auxiliary Police Academy for training
All recruits will undergo 16 weeks (4 months) of training at the Middlesex County Auxiliary Police Academy in Edison, NJ
(select classes are held in Sayreville, NJ).
The academy is run once a year and begins in mid March and ends in late June.
Classes run every Tuesday and Thursday from 7pm - 10pm as well as every other Saturday from 8am-4pm. Attendance is mandatory for graduation.
The following is a list of courses that each recruit must successfully master before graduation:
- Criminal Law
- Civil Government
- Court System
- Traffic Control
- Motor vehicle law (Title 39)
- Patrol Function
- Crowd Control
- Incident Command
- Fire safety
- Narcotics / CDS
- Juvenile crimes
- Gang awareness
- Power line safety
- Arrest Search and Seizure
- Use of force
- Blood-Borne Pathogens
- First Responder Haz-Mat
- Preservation of Evidence
- Gun / Knife Safety
- Investigative report writing
- Incident Command System
- CPR / First Aid / Emergency Childbirth
- Bias crimes
- Hand cuffing
- Baton Defensive / Offensive
- Drill and Ceremony
After successful completion of the academy, all new recruits must be able to meet our minimum requirements:
- Serve a minimum of 144 hours per year
- Attend one Sunday morning church duty per month
- Attend one Tuesday night training meeting per month
- Respond to emergency call-outs
- Complete a minimum of one patrol detail per month (during your first year)
No remuneration shall be paid to Auxiliary Police officers for performance of duty,
monetary or otherwise.